Over the next few weeks I will be sharing my tips for creating a bit more space in your life as a working, single mom.
My first tip is a go-to one that I started when my daughter was still a toddler. I needed all the extra time I could get (who doesn’t?) and prepping multiple meals in one go was one way to do it. Use containers appropriate for freezing and remember to put a description and date on the lid. You’ll thank me in 6 months’ time when you find a “Frozen Wonder” at the back of the freezer – you know, you ‘wonder’ what it might be? 🙂
Tip #1: Meal-prepping
This is not just for die hard weight lifters and super fit millennials out there. Preparing a few meals over a weekend when you have more time (hopefully), will definitely save your sanity on a school night when you just don’t have the time or energy to cook a healthy meal.
- When you cook a batch of Bolognaise sauce, or something similar, double up and freeze smaller portions for later. Why not use this awesome local recipe from Knorr.
- Make sure you use lots of veggies and get creative in sneaking them into meals:
- Add pureed carrot (jars of baby food) to any tomato based sauce for spaghetti or macaroni & cheese.
- Add half a cup of pureed cauliflower to your cheese sauce for mac and cheese – I promise you, the taste is barely noticeable!
- Add pureed spinach to any chocolate dessert – the cocoa will mask the taste and colour of the spinach.
What is your cooking tip for busy working moms?